Paola Carbone is Associate Professor of English Literature at the Libera Università di Lingue e Comunicazione IULM of Milano where she has been teaching since 1993. She passed the National Scientific Habilitation (Abilitazione) as full professor in 2014.
She is Member of the Board of the Doctoral Degree in Comparative Literatures at IULM University since 1999 and in “Letterature e media: narratività e linguaggi” coordinato dal Prof. Silvano Nigro since 2013.
She has taught courses in: English Literature (modernism, postmodernism, and digital literature), Electronic Publishing, Cross-cultural English, English Translation, Anglophone cultures, Postcolonial Literatures, English Arts and Literatures, Literatures in English, Digital storytelling.
In 2002 she conceived and coordinated the Master (Fondo Sociale Europeo) in Electronic Publishing at the Libera Università IULM.
Her fields of research include: the theory of narrative; 20th British novel; electronic literature; literature and law; Indo-English literature.
Since 2000 she has coordinated the Tristram Shandy Web Project (http://www.tristramshandyweb.it/), a digital critical edition of Sterne’s novel, which received a special mention for the best digital content at eContent Award 2005.
She has co-organized several international conferences at IULM University:
-“Congenialità e traduzione” (May 1996);
- “Internet e le Muse” (November 1996);
- “Le comunità virtuali e i saperi umanistici” (November 1997);
- “Arts and Literature in e-Publishing” (October 1999);
- “games@IULM” (May 2006, in collaboration with Stanford University).
- “Neuroesthetics: when art and the brain collide” (settembre 2009); workshop
She has participated in various CNR and IULM research projects:
- 1996-99 CNR Project on “Le performances della critica inglese e anglo-americana: analisi, traduzione, elocuzione”, coordinated by Prof. Patrizia Nerozzi;
- 1997-99 CNR Project on “L'autoapprendimento della letteratura inglese attraverso l'informatica” ("Self-access to English Literature), coordinated by Prof. Dante Liano (Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore . Milano);
- 1997, 1998, 1999 MURST Project (ex 60%) on “Verso una ridefinizione del concetto di "scrittura": ipertestualità, arte, letteratura” ("Towards a Re-definition of Writing: Hypertext, Arts and Literature);
- 2000, 2001, 2002 MURST Project (ex 60%) on “La geometria della interazione come materialità architettonica del pensiero: ipertestualità, arte, letteratura” (The Geometry of Interaction: Hypertext, Arts and Literature);
- since 2000 supervisor and coordinator of the Tristram Shandy Web (www.tristramshandyweb.com) a digital critical edition of Sterne’s novel, which received a special mention for the best digital content at eContent Award 2005. The project is directed by Prof. Patrizia Nerozzi;
- 2002-03 coordinator of the Project “La cultura teatrale in Internet: il Teatro San Babila” ("Theatre on Internet: Teatro San Babila) at the Research Centre Humanities Laboratory;
- 2004-07 project on the visualization of information dedicated to Tristram Shandy di Laurence Sterne;
- 2006-07 supervisor of the GamesLab, a workshop dedicated to videogames at the Humanities Lab (IULM);
- 2007-08: “Letteratura e processi cognitivi” ("Literature and cognitive processes") coordinated by Prof. Paolo Moderato and Patrizia Nerozzi at IULM University;
- 2010-12: "Towards a Global Literature: translation and its reception, images of otherness and cultural politics", reasearch coordinated by Timothy Parks ed Edoardo Zuccato (IULM University);
- since 2012 member of two research groups on "L’immagine dell’artista nel mondo moderno" ("The image of the artist in the modern world") coordinated by Prof. Edoardo Zuccato and "I confini del racconto" ("The limits of narrativity and fictionality") coordinated by Prof. Paolo Giovannetti (University IULM).
- since 2007 memeber of an international research group on Law and Literature organized by Proff. Pierluigi Monateri (University of Turin) and prof. Daniela Carpi (University of Verona) (see www.aidel.it)
She is member of AIA - Associazione Italiana Anglistica since 1993, and member of 'AIDEL-Associazione italiana diritto e letteratura since 2008